Friday, July 22, 2011

Punk Rock and PBR

The Silver Ballroom is a STL bar that has been getting rave reviews from people who enjoy, as their site mentions, Punk Rock, Pinball, and PBR. Basically, this place is awesome.

The Juke Box is stocked with as much punk as the heart could desire and fourteen pinball machines await your loose change in the Silver Ballroom itself. Don't worry, there's a change machine for those who don't have a roll of quarters on hand and they have cup holders so you can drink while you play. The machines date from 1960s up to an Iron Man 2 machine from last year. They cost only 50 cents to play and the PBR comes in 12 or 24 oz cans for $2 or $3 respectively, prices with which no one could argue. I went a little early in the evening, around 7, mostly so I could ensure I would be able to get on a few of the machines without having to wait.

Jurassic Park Pinball Machine. You read it right. Jurassic Park. The movie that started the nineties and sparked a series of sequels that sullied its once unsulliable name lives on at Silver Ballroom in pinball form. The little T-Rex that ate my ball and spit it out also ate my heart. The little guy's roars and jerky mechanic movements endeared him to me like a little golden retriever puppy.

The bar itself is labelled the "Retox Center" which I thought was delightful and the bartender was wearing a 2 Live Crew As Nasty As They Wanna Be t-shirt which was equally as delightful. They serve handmade meat pies which I didn't have the opportunity to try, and Billy Goat Chips which I hear about all of the time and am really looking forward to getting my hands on some day.

Overall it seems like a good spot to hang out with tattooed and mohawked St Louisians and play some cool pinball machines that light up and make noises. Next time I'm getting a meat pie and putting on some The Exploited tracks on the Juke Box before getting on the machines with a PBR.

No comments:

Post a Comment